Frozen ponds, rivers and lakes can be very dangerous and are best avoided.
Frozen water safety tips
- Don’t wander too near the edge, icy or wet conditions could cause you to slip and fall in
- Don't be tempted to test the thickness of the ice; it's easy to slip from the bank and fall through into the freezing water
- Make sure you children understand how dangerous it is to play on ice
- Adults should set a good example by staying off the ice themselves
- Dog owners should ensure they keep their pets on a lead so they are not at risk of falling in