Safe+Sound is a project set up to educate people in our communities about safety in a fun and interactive way.
We are currently offering Safe+Sound in an online format and will be produced as a weekly programme from the Safe+Sound team and partners.
Topics will include:
- Fire Safety
- Dealing with accidents and emergencies in the home
- Relaxation, massage and emotional wellbeing
- Railway safety/trespass
- Water safety
- Road safety
- Internet safety
You can watch Safe+Sound live every Wednesday at 10am during term time, or view past editions of the show at any time on demand, by visiting the Learn Live platform.
What is Safe+Sound?
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service have been successfully broadcasting a weekly Safe+Sound programme for Key Stage 2 children since May 2020, with occasional programmes aimed at different age groups. Safe+Sound is a programme of safety, wellbeing and life-skills messages created by our specialist partners then compiled by the fire service to produce a programme that is transmitted on the Learn Live channel during term time.
- Vulnerability – may include child sexual exploitation, anti-social behaviour, substance misuse, gangs and youth violence, healthy relationships/sexual health, emotional wellbeing, cyber-crime, online safety, extremism/radicalisation and any other relevant issues – delivered by relevant professionals, including Staffordshire Police
- What to do in an emergency – may include CPR, making a call for help, what to do in an emergency - delivered by qualified first aiders/professionals
- Staying safe – may include water safety, railway safety, playing out (voids, building sites, in the countryside), road safety, strangers, internet and personal safety – delivered by relevant professionals
- Fire safety – may include fire safety in the home, nuisance fires, flames aren’t games – delivered by Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Wellbeing – may include Dementia Friends, mental health awareness, emotional wellbeing, healthy relationships - delivered by relevant professionals
Safe+Sound mobile pods
The Safe+Sound team now have state-of-the-art interactive mobile pods to deliver its education programmes. These pods allow for an immersive learning environment which will allow the team and partners to teach various topics including fire safety in the home, road safety, water safety, emotional wellbeing, and CPR amongst other things in an interactive way. Various scenarios are projected onto three walls of the pod producing a 270 degree view of the scene for the student. The software allows participants to answer questions and access more information by swiping sensors on the walls. The use of the pods adds an interactive element to Safe+Sound events to maximise learning outcomes. Each pod folds away to make transportation easier and there are two different sizes to accommodate either a large or a small audience.
- Staffordshire Police - delivering elements from their vulnerability strategy
- NHS Partnerships Trust - delivering basic life support, CPR and the use of a defibrillator to over 65-year-olds
- DHL logistics and delivery company - delivering truck and child safety
- Changes - delivering sessions focused on mental health and wellbeing
- Stoke-on-Trent City Council - delivering Alcohol Awareness
- Staffordshire Safer Roads Partnership - delivering sessions on safer driving, covering distractions such as drugs and alcohol
- Medequip - delivering assistive technology advice
- Penny Rafferty - delivering Relaxation techniques
- RNLI and Canal and Rivers Trust - delivering water safety
- Red Cross - delivering ‘what to do in an emergency’ sessions.
- Network Rail
Safe+Sound are always looking for interesting, informative, age appropriate video content for their weekly broadcasts. If you are interested in submitting a video or would like to find out more please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information
Please note as a precaution, we have taken the decision to cancel upcoming school visits to our Safe+Sound pods in view of the government’s latest advice around coronavirus.
Helen Wood (Education Manager)
Tel: 01785 898842 / 07971 893241
Tel: 01785 898791 / 07528 983138
Tel: 01785 898757 / 07967 573509