Burning garden waste produces pollutants which can damage the environment and be a nuisance to neighbours, it can also cause devastating fires.
Bonfire/controlled burning safety tips
- If you are having a bonfire to burn garden waste discuss it with your neighbours beforehand
- Build the bonfire away from sheds, fences and trees
- Check there are no cables (for example, telephone wires) above the bonfire
- Always check that no children or animals are hiding in the bonfire before lighting
- Don’t burn aerosols, batteries, tyres, canisters or anything containing foam or paint - many produce toxic fumes and some containers may explode, causing injury
- Don’t use petrol, paraffin, diesel, white spirit or methylated spirit to light the bonfire
- Keep some buckets of water nearby in case of an emergency and to damp down.