Arson reduction advice for domestic residents
Does it feel like the situation could get heated or violent very soon? Is someone in immediate danger? Do you need support right away? If so, please call 999 now.
If you have a hearing or speech impairment, use our textphone service 18000 or text us on 999 if you’ve pre-registered with the Relay UK emergency SMS service.
If you’ve witnessed or been the victim of crime, please report it to Staffordshire Police by calling 101, or contacting them online.
If you have any information that you believe could help officers with an arson investigation and do not feel comfortable speaking to Staffordshire Police, you can leave your information anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Protect your property from Arson
- Keep windows and doors closed and locked when not at home and at night time when occupiers are asleep.
- If any doors or windows are damaged or do not close fully, rectify these issues. If rented from local authority / housing association, contact the relevant agency.
- Keep the area around the front door as sterile as possible. Avoid textiles and furnishings being placed next to the door way if possible. Consider moving coats and shoes if you have an alternative place to store them.
- Keep outbuildings / sheds / garages as secure as possible, so as not to provide an easy target for intruders.
- Secure any flammable liquids you may have in your property well. Don’t leave containers such as petrol canisters in the open.
- Maintain your boundary well – make sure fencing is in good condition and structurally sound, in addition to gates closing properly and with locks on the latches when possible.
- Consider where wheelie bins are kept and also where you put your rubbish if bagged. Avoid leaving bins and rubbish in the open or near to your doors and windows if possible.
- Consider additional home security equipment – visible deterrents can make a difference.
- Make sure you have an emergency plan that you have discussed with your family / house mates.
- Burning materials can be pushed through your letterbox. Consider fitting a lockable flap or metal container.