A house fire in Hartshill where a man died has been deemed as accidental due to smoking materials.
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service was called to Grice Road, Hartshill, at 5am yesterday morning (Sunday 9 January) following reports of a house fire.
During a search of the property, a man in his 60s, was located in an upstairs bedroom.
First aid was provided at the scene and the man was taken to hospital.
Sadly, the man died at hospital.
If you smoke in your home, we would urge you to be cautious and follow the safety advice below:
• Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished and carefully disposed of
• Never smoke in bed – you could easily doze off and set your bed on fire
• Always use a proper ashtray which is made of material which can’t burn or tip over
• Take extra care when you’re tired, are taking any sort of drugs/medication or have been drinking alcohol. It’s very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning
• Keep matches and lighters away from children – consider buying child resistant lighters and match boxes to reduce the risk.